9 Things You Need to Know about Superfoods!
Lisa Kilgour, NutritionistJuly 3, 2017
When did food get so “super”? All over social media is the word “Superfoods” and a list of the latest and greatest…it’s getting all a tad confusing. What is a superfood? Well, in a nutshell it’s simply food. Specifically, good, whole, plant-based food. And it usually has a strong colour, like; green (kale), blue (blueberries), or red (beets). Every colour in the rainbow has a superfood!
They’re also jam-packed with vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients that and can boost your energy, brighten your skin, and help you feel amazing. Raw cacao (chocolate), goji berries, and kale have enjoyed their time in the spotlight lately…and for good reason. They’re SUPER healthy, but they’re not the only ones. I’d like to open up this category to all fruits and veggies, especially the extra colourful ones.
They get their “super” title by being chock-full of antioxidants (the colour) and other spectacular phytonutrients (nutrients from plants). And we need more of these in our diet, which is why every nutritionist around (including me) raves about superfoods.
How do you choose? It’s easy – grab some brightly coloured veggies, bonus if you grab a fruit or veggie that you don’t normally buy, or is a colour you’ve never tried. And enjoy!
And even try some that are extra super – those are nutrient-dense superfoods we don’t usually include in our diet, like; spiralina, chlorella, wheat grass, and goji berries.
Don’t like kale? That’s okay, try rainbow chard! Don’t like beets? Try watermelon or raspberries. There are so many options for every colour, you’ve just got to try a few.
You may be wondering; Do I REALLY need to eat these in my diet?? I’m glad you asked. Here are 9 reasons you need to include superfoods in your diet:
- They’re SUPER nutrient rich! Our high stress, high stimulated life can be hard on your body, and giving it a extra boost of nutrients is the perfect way to say ‘thank you’.
- They keep us healthy! They’re chockfull of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and other phytonutrients…and these are exactly what our immune system needs to fight off colds and flus.
- Good bacteria love them! Taking a probiotic supplement helps your body absorb the good stuff better – “good” bacteria loves phytonutrients and they can even double their absorbency.
- They can reduce inflammation! Phytonutrients turn off enzymes that can cause inflammation.
- They make you smart! Phytonutrients in superfoods support nerve growth factors to keep your brain sharp and focused.
- They’re anti-aging miracles! Wrinkles, sagging skin, and even sunburns are accelerated by free radical damage, and superfoods are FULL of free radical fighters (otherwise known as antioxidants). Load up before going out into the sun.
- You’ll feel amazing! Want an instant energy-boost? Have a hit of chlorophyll, found in everything green. Chlorophyll can increase hemoglobin in the blood, giving you a great pick-me-up.
- Give you TONS of energy! Plants absorb energy from the sun and give it straight to you!
- AND little goes a long way – because they’re SO nutrient dense! Sprinkle some raw cacao into your smoothie (or oatmeal, yum!), or add some kale or goji berries to your stir-fry.
And the best part; they like to work together – eating a variety of whole superfoods allow the phytonutrients to be absorbed better. I.e., lycopene in a tomato is better than in a capsule. Enjoy them together for an added bonus!
What’s your favourite superfood? Let us know on social media with #BotanicaHealth #MindfulLiving We’d love to hear from you!